- Babel is a compiler. At a high level, it has 3 stages that it runs code in:
generation(like many other compilers).
- Now, out of the box Babel doesn’t do anything. It basically acts like
const babel = code => code;by parsing the code and then generating the same code back out again.
- You will need to add some plugins for Babel to do anything (they affect the 2nd stage, transformation).
- Presets are sharable
.babelrcconfigs or simply an array of babel plugins.
- Ordering matters for each visitor in the plugin. This means if two transforms both visit “Program”, the transforms will run in either plugin or preset order.
- Plugins run before Presets.
- Plugin ordering is first to last.